This chutney recipe has a refreshing taste which goes well with duck, goose or ham. It’s a wonderful chutney recipe to make around Christmas time. As it doesn’t need aging like your normal Christmas chutney recipe would, so you can make it really close to the festive period to go with all the lovely meats that are usually served at Christmas and leave the most gorgeous citrus smell about the house. On top of that it’s best made with Seville oranges which are at their peak around Christmas time.
Ingredients for Orange and Lemon Chutney Recipe
- 2 oranges, scrubbed
- Piece fresh root ginger, bruised
- 3 lemons, scrubbed
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 lb cooking apples
- 1 blade mace
- 3/4 pint white wine vinegar
- 8 oz onions, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 oz sultanas
- A few peppercorns
- 1 lb sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
To Prepare Orange and Lemon Chutney Recipe
- Halve the oranges and lemons and squeeze the juices into a bowl. Finely shred the peel and flesh and discard the pips.
- Put the juice, shredded peel and flesh into a large bowl and add the vinegar and spices. Stir well, cover and leave to stand for 24 hours.
- Next day, place the mixture in a large pan. Peel, core and chop the apples and add to the pan with the onions. Cook very gently until the fruit and vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sultanas and sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the sugar has completely dissolved, return to the heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about an hour until the mixture is thick and the vinegar absorbed.
- Pour into warm, sterilised jars and seal immediately.
This is definitely one for the Christmas supper table. This chutney recipe is also great for the summer. Mix with a little water and honey for a wonderful citrus glaze to burgers on the barbeque.