I first came across the idea of an onion marmalade recipe many years ago whilst browsing through a lovely old fashioned cheese shop. I went home with a jar in my pocket and once I’d had a taste I was got, hook, line and sinker as they say. I’m a great cheese lover and this onion marmalade recipe is the ideal thing to provide a little tang in relief to your favourite cheese and crackers. I’ve tried many an onion marmalade recipe over the intervening years but this one is my firm favourite. See if you agree.
Ingredients for Onion Marmalade Recipe
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 3 tbsps of your best olive oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp dark brown sugar, muscovado if you can manage it
- Black pepper to taste
To Prepare the Onion Marmalade Recipe
- Chop the garlic and onions and slide into a large preserving pan along with the olive oil and mustard and coriander seeds.
- Stir everything together and cook over a mild heat for about 20 minutes, stirring every now and again to break things up a bit.
- Add the vinegar and sugar and place back over the heat for a further 10 to 20 minutes. You’re waiting to see the onions become completely translucent and the marmalade well and truly reduced down.
- Once you’ve reached that point, stir in 4 tablespoons of water and cook for a final 10 minute burst to add that last bit of sticky thickness.
- Season according to your own personal taste, before spooning into sterilised jars and sealing.
Your onion marmalade should be divine for up to 2 months, but don’t expect it to last anywhere near that long if you love it as much as I do. As well as cheeseboards, you can also use this to add a real depth of flavour to stews, casseroles or soups. Adding some onion marmalade in addition to your usual fresh onion and garlic and allowing it to sweat away together turns a good dish into a great one. Dont forget to download the onion marmalade recipe below, so you don’t have to take your computer into the kitchen!
Onion Marmalade Recipe Download
Just enter your name and email address so I can send you my latest updates, press “send” and your onion marmalade recipe download will be immediately available
* Your details will, under no circumstances, be sold or sent to any third party, or be used for any elicit purposes. Your information will only be used by me to send you information that may be of interest to you in the future.